Cookbook author and blogger Alexis Kornblum Davidson shares recipes designed for gluten-free and Paleo lifestyles.By Maria Allen
Cooking and eating healthier is a common New Yearâ€™s resolution, but it can be hard to stay on track if you run out of recipe ideas. Thankfully, a new cookbook penned by local recipe developer Alexis Kornblum Davidson is filled with exciting ways to incorporate gluten-free and Paleo-friendly dishes into your daily routine without sacrificing flavor.
â€śWhen I hit the point of my gut health getting in the way of daily activities, I knew I needed to do something about it,â€ť says Davidson. In 2012, she began changing her eating habits, adopting a gluten-free and Paleo diet and exercising more. Not wanting to lost out on the joy of eating great meals, Davidson started out by developing recipes that worked for her lifestyle through a process of trial and error. She began sharing her recipes online on her food blog, Lexiâ€™s Clean Kitchen, and developed a loyal following.
These days, Davidson continues to spend most of her time in the kitchen, crafting recipes that are packed with flavor and subsequently taking drool-worthy photographs of her creations. She recently had her first cookbook published. â€śLexiâ€™s Clean Kitchenâ€ť (November, 2016, Victory Belt Publishing). She kicked off her cookbook tour with appearances at Whole Foods Markets around New England, including appearances on the South Shore in Hingham and South Weymouth. The cookbook contains over 150 recipes that are free of gluten, grains, dairy, soy and refined sugars. Recipes contain special diet labels, including dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan, and Paleo-friendly for easy navigation (all of the recipes are gluten-free).
Hereâ€™s a peek at what youâ€™ll find inside the new cookbook.
CHOPPED ANTIPASTO & GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD
Serves: 2, Prep time: 10 minutes (not including chicken)
Egg-free / nut-free / dairy-free option: omit cheese
Paleo-friendly option: omit cheese
Oh, this salad! All of your favorite antipasto flavors in one hearty, crowd-pleasing dish. Once the chicken is marinated and grilled, this salad comes together very quickly.
4 to 6 cups roughly chopped lettuce
Â˝ cup roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
1 cup roughly chopped tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
Â˝ cup roughly chopped pepperoni of choice
Â˝ cup roughly chopped salami
Â˝ pound grilled chicken, roughly chopped
1 cup cubed fresh mozzarella cheese (optional)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
For the basil balsamic dressing:
ÂĽ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Arrange the salad: Divide the chopped lettuce between two plates. Top with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, red onions, pepperoni, salami, grilled chicken, and fresh mozzarella, if using. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top. Garnish with fresh basil.
2. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Pour over the salad and serve immediately.
As a kid, I really enjoyed fast-food chicken nuggets. Now, in my adult life, I canâ€™t believe how many Wendyâ€™s pit stops I made in my youth. Pretty disturbing. But guess what? Even in a clean-eating lifestyle, you can still have chicken nuggets that youâ€™ll rave about! These nuggets are seasoned just right, baked until golden and crispy, and served with a creamy honey mustard dipping sauceâ€”all of the flavor with none of the junky ingredients.
CLASSIC BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS
Serves: 4 Â Â Â Prep time: 10 minutes Â Â
Cook time: 20 minutes
Dairy-free / Paleo-friendly
1 cup blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon garlic granules
1 teaspoon onion powder
Â˝ teaspoon paprika
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Â˝ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
For the creamy honey mustard:
2 tablespoons mayo, homemade or store-bought
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, spices, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water until well combined.
4. Drop a few chicken cubes into the egg wash and turn them until coated. Transfer the coated chicken cubes to the spice bowl and dredge until evenly coated with the seasoning mixture. Place the coated chicken on the lined baking sheet.
5. Repeat until all of the chicken is coated, making sure to spread the cubes evenly on the baking sheet and leave some space between them.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for an additional 8 minutes, until the chicken is golden and crispy and no pink remains in the center.
7. While the chicken is baking, whisk together the ingredients for the honey mustard or prepare another dipping sauce of choice (see suggestions below). Serve immediately with the nuggets.
Variation: Make â€™em spicy! Just add ÂĽ to Â˝ teaspoon of cayenne
pepper and Â˝ teaspoon of chili powder to the spice mixture.